If you missed the BET Awards, then allow me to get you caught up! There were several highlights that I must absolutely share with you. The show opened up with Freedom by Beyonce and Kendick Lamar. Watch it here. If you seen it on the show, then watch it again. It’s so worth it. The performance was powerful and very entertaining. Beyonce always gives us a show honey!
- Jennifer Hudson gave me chills with her tribute to Prince singing Purple Rain. Not one person in this world can say that girl can’t sang (I meant that with an a).
- Jesse Williams who was given the Humanitarian Award gave the best acceptance speech ever (in my opinion). He brought some realness and made us all stop to think. I have to admit, I didn’t even really know who he was at the time……but I sure had to look him up after that speech. If you missed it, watch it here. If you watched it, watch it again here! If his speech did not inspire you to be more active, then something is wrong.
- Is it me or did Kirk Franklin seem a little strange? I’m going to need some feedback in the comments on this one. Did I miss some news on him?
- Janelle Monae and Shelia E also did a tribute to Prince. I have to admit, I’m not really into their music but to each his own.
- I’m so glad that Bryson Tiller won the New Artist award. He has seriously been on my radar this year.
- Remy Ma killed it on her verse on I’m all the way up with French Montana.
- Last, but not least, I’m loving Usher’s new song, No Limit. Don’t judge me lol!
I normally don’t watch the BET Awards because some of the newer music is ehh to me. But I am so glad that I was able to see Jesse give his speech live. He has really inspired me and made me realize how people really need to use their platforms for a cause. It’s not just about making money. Anyway, what were your takeaways from the show?